Online, self-paced training crash course for you and your dog!
Crash Course Details:
This course is normally priced at €30, but, to celebrate us planning the release of lots of online training courses, we are giving it away!
Well, we are asking you to donate what you can. We are taking donations for A Dog’s Life who work to give pound dogs a better life and whom we fully support in their efforts to ensure canine welfare and responsible rescue and rehoming practices.
When? You can start any time!
Apply here and you will get access information.
Where? Anywhere, any time!
Who? This training course is for all dogs of any age and their training enthusiast humans.
Training with your dog requires lots of dedication, particularly when working online and remotely, so this course is for pet owners and pros really committed to working on training exercises every day, to see results.
How long? This is a self-paced course, usually taking 8 weeks to complete. You will have access to the online course area, materials and supplementary resources for three months from your enrollment (until the end of October, for this run).
How much? We are literally giving this course away, but, we are asking for a donate what you can contribution for A Dog’s Life; donate here.
To participate, you will need:
- a device and internet access
- you need to be able to use the internet, blogs, Facebook groups and if you wish to participate to the fullest, be able to record and upload your short training clips
- your dog and your course materials
- your dog’s walking gear, e.g. collar, harness, lead etc.
- a long line of at least 5m (more on using a long line safely here)
- various reinforcers for your individual dog such as their food rewards and toys
- a chair to sit in for practicing some course games
- a snufflemat or similar (ideas here) but you may also use a bowl or even grass, when working outside
- places that you can take your dog to practice course games (bearing in mind current restrictions etc.)
- means to record your work for guidance and feedback when it’s posted to our Facebook group; it’s best that you can set up the camera or have someone else hold it so that we can see you and your dog.
Goals of this course
This course will help you to:
- improve your relationship with your dog through the development of rich reinforcement histories
- develop new lines of communication between you and your dog
- have fun with your dog
- build value in different reinforcers
- recognise engagement and disengagement
- generalise engagement behaviours to different contexts
- teach focus exercises
- build a foundation for recall, loose leash walking and other “obedience” exercises
- 24/7 access to the course online area, from anywhere, for three months
- multiple media learning resources for viewing or downloading
- course manual to download
- 14 games over 5 levels across 8 weeks
- 5 explanatory mini-webinars (clips) – homework for humans – covering topics such as engagement, choice, play, reinforcers, motivation, distractions.
- over 40 demonstration clips
- comment facility at the online course area for participation, enquiries, interactions
- access to a Facebook group to post videos for feedback and guidance
- set the foundations for a wonderful relationship with your dog
Engagement. What is it good for?
Like all buzz words that are the talk of trainer-town, engagement is tricky to define. We know it when we see it, and we certainly know when we don’t have it.
‘To engage’ is defined as participating, to attract someone’s attention, and the one I particularly like, to establish meaningful contact or connection.
The important things to note here is that the dog chooses to engage, that they are working to attract your attention, and that you’re (both) developing a meaningful connection.
When engagement happens, the dog is fighting to engage regardless of the presence of distractions and triggers and regardless of whether you have treats or toys.
Making engagement happen starts with the human. If we want our dog to choose us, regardless of what else is going on and regardless of whether we have treats or toys, we have to work to prove that engaging with us is the best!
When the dog is engaged, choosing you regardless, he pushes into the learning and interacting process; he is more than meeting you halfway.
Engagement is the key to teaching nice loose leash walking skills, achieve excellent recall and focus, even around distractions. It’s the foundation to all teaching and “obedience”skills.
Join us on this awesome learning journey, with you and your dog as a team!
Online Training with your Dog
Before you sign up, consider carefully embarking on an online training course. Teaching your dog requires plenty of time, patience, skill building and knowledge development. When working remotely in a group, this is largely on you.
A course like this is best for those pet owners who are really interested in committing to working with their dog daily, learning lots of new information about dog behaviour and teaching dogs, and in developing great mechanical skill in teaching.
If you’re ready to go, we would love to have you. Submit your details in the form here and you will be taken to a page with a link and password. That provides access to the course online area where you will find instructions and course materials.
Please donate to A Dog’s Life, if you can and what you can, even if just a couple of euro.
Please note that all dog training, including course activities, is participated in at your own risk. AniEd, staff and trainers cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any injuries or losses sustained during course activities.
You are responsible for your dog’s safety and behaviour at all times and you are advised to ensure you have adequate pet or household insurance cover for liability in the unlikely event of damage or injury caused by your dog to property or to a third party
As course fees are free or donations to a separate organisation, there are no refunds available for any reason.
This course will be available until the end of October 2020 at which time it may become available at its full price.
By continuing and participating in this course you agree to these terms.