Doggie Zen Level 3
So yesterday we achieved zen with only one or two treats on the floor, today it’s a whole bowl of treats on the floor…and you thought Level 2 was a challenge!
Practice for 1-2 minute sessions and then take a break. Have a few sessions today.
Try fitting each short session into your routine; for example, while you wait for the kettle to boil, during the ad break of your TV show or while you wait for the computer to start up.
Really do keep sessions short on these exercises! The self-control bank account depletes fast and your dog will need some time to recuperate so make sure to give them a good break too.
This exercise is for adults only!
Top Tip for Today’s Training Games:
Notice that we don’t ask our dog to do anything here at all – no talking!
This is about self-control – we are working on a default here so you never need to ask for polite behaviour when you have things your dog wants – he just does it!
Remember, if your dog gets stuck with any of our exercises this week, think of ways that you can make it easier for him to succeed and then build again more gradually.
Zen Level 3
- add some food rewards to a small bowl or container (make sure you can cover the container with one hand)
- begin to lower the container toward the floor, if your dog moves toward the container of food, bring the food back up to your lap or onto a chair or table
- if your dog offers behaviours from his polite list continue to lower the container until you can get it on the floor
- if your dog approaches the container cover it with your hand
- if your dog paws or bites at your hand lift the container up off the floor for a couple of seconds and try to lower gradually again
- cover the container until your dog shows at least one behaviour from your polite list
- once uncovered, if your dog stays back from the container of food offer him a food reward
Work on this one until your dog can stay back off the container full of treats!